Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

10 Ways I Prepared My Dogs for The Baby’s Arrival






10 ways I prepared my Dogs for the Baby’s Arrival.


You know when we found out we were expecting one of the first changes we started implementing was with our two four legged babies!  Our beagles. The oldest one is Buster and Luna our little mischievous  beaglette.
Long before we ever planned or thought of having our baby we had decided that our dogs would be crate trained it made it very easy for us to travel everywhere with them and they always have had a spot of their own in our home. We never used the crates for negative reinforcement or as punishment but in the contrary left them open during the day. Always give them a treat when they go in and tuck them into bed (their crate) at night.

When the news that we were expecting was given to us, one of the first things that came to our minds was our beagles. We had always heard that we would either end up making them outside dogs and that we wouldn’t love them anymore  (I hated when people said that) I guess it is different for everyone. Each person defines the relationship that they want to have with their pets by the way they decide to take care of them.

Now I’ll get on to the good stuff what my husband and I worked on to prepare our dogs before the baby came.

1.The first thing we started to do was defining limits in the house. We got some baby gates in our room and the baby’s room.  At the beginning we didn’t close them we just put them up on the doors for them to get familiar with.  After a few weeks passed we started closing the gates only letting them in when called in and giving them treats when we came out and when they didn’t whimper.

2.Then we started setting a consistent routine: What time they got food, what time they got walked, how often. It sounds like a lot of work, but when the baby arrived it helped millions!! Talking with my hubby we agreed he would be doing most of the walking and taking care of them at the beginning since a newborn takes most of the energy and time from mommy the first couple of months!   I would suggest talking with your significant other about it and make sure to get your pet(s) acquainted to anyone that will help you walk them, family, neighbors, etc.

3. I started to set up the baby room early on making sure they understood a new space had to be taken under consideration, respected and it was going to be out limits for them. Setting up the baby’s room before its arrival let them know I was going to be spending time in there with out paying so much attention to them.

4. I had notice when walking them they would be startled by strollers! So I made it one of my missions to make sure they loved the stroller. As soon as I got it I put it up in the middle of the house. First they where a bit scared of it after a day I put some treats between the wheels and the lower parts of the stroller. After a couple of days we went outside for a walk with them and the strollers! It confused our neighbors for a little bit thought the baby had come early! At the end I really only cared that I was getting our beagles ready and our selves. It eventually became practice for me to be able to walk both dogs alone with the baby! It’s been great!
If you have neighbors with babies and strollers or toddlers see how your dogs reacts to them. Our beagles were always curious to smell but very submissive to kids so that made us feel comfortable. Not that I was trying things out with others people children. I just hadn’t notice those little details until we were expecting.


5. Before the baby I use to travel with my husband and the 2 beagles would ride in the back seat. So that changed when I put the car seat up I started to show them how to ride in the back of our SUV. Patience and treats helped me with that change since they were use to riding in the back seat since 6-8 weeks old. But it happened and now the love riding in the back; they even jump in themselves.

6.I started to play baby sounds and even baby cries (I found them on YouTube). It was something I did when I was alone with them. Since is something I thought was going to happen sooner o later, and it did. I don’t know if this really helped them or me get use to the crying but I did it so thought I should share.

7. I gradually started spending time in the house separate from my beagles.  I knew when the baby arrived it would probably be this way for a while.  It was very hard for me more then them. But when the baby arrived it was great they didn’t notice a difference. I guess that is why they never became jealous of her cause the changes came before the baby and now I'm reaping the benefits seeing her crawl and tug at them and all she gets from them is kisses and belly’s up. I’m glad they don’t recent her.

8. When the baby arrived I made sure my husband gave one of the babies onsies that had warn at the hospital before the day we arrived home so they would get use to the smell of her and left it in the crates for them to sleep with it over night.

9. When we got our second beagle Luna, we made sure Buster our first Beagle would meet her in a neutral place out side the house. So I thought it should be the same with the baby; when the baby arrived my husband took the dogs to the dog park and that is were I arrived with the baby. They were very curious and jumpy but I think it made it more familiar for them when we brought them all home.


10. Once in the house settled with the baby My husband and I started to show the baby over the gate to them making sure every so often they would get to see her up close and smell her.

I was amazed of what connection my baby and our beagles have developed and how much they love her and look out for her.
I’m not saying that this steps I took are 100% proof and that will work for everyone. But maybe it will help someone out there.
luna

buster
walk in the park











Well that is all for right now. Let me know how it goes. Be patient. And also let me know if you have any questions.

Much Love,

Anny.

4 comments: